We are hearing a lot in the news today about Alzheimer’s and whether it can be prevented, treated successfully, and reversed. Think about what you believe for a second. Conventional medical practitioners seem to be thinking that it cannot be prevented, or, that once a person is in a state of cognitive decline, it can never be reversed. Some believe it cannot even be slowed down.
But is this still true?
Increasing numbers of studies are demonstrating the impact that nutrition has on brain health. Even older people with mild or more advanced cognitive decline show improvement when nutrition is changed for the better. So, it is important to work both in prevention and treatment to address this all-important subject of preserving and improving our brain health, especially as we age.
- B-Complex. These give us protection against mood disorders, lowered cognitive performance, and Alzheimer’s or some other form of dementia.
- Coffee. If you like it, drink it! Both caffeinated and decaffeinated varieties offer protection and are very brain-friendly. Coffee is considered to be an antioxidant and stimulates ketones, which the brain loves, as well.
- Olive Oil. Use extra virgin, cold-pressed, and organic olive oil. It lowers your risk for stroke, dementia, and even diabetes.
- Fish Oil. This means you are getting 2 kinds of omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA. They perform powerful anti-inflammatory functions within the human body, and that definitely includes the brain. Try using a good quality fish oil, such as a Nordic cod liver oil, derived from healthy fatty fish.
- Turmeric. This contains curcuminoids, including curcumin, and has a large medicinal effect, particularly in lowering inflammation. It is also a very strong antioxidant.
I most certainly believe in taking supplements. In fact, I take many. Try to stick to the healthier varieties and buy organic whenever you can. But adding other healthy lifestyle elements creates a much more robust healthy effect. You can be healthy in one area and neglect other areas. For example, if you combine healthy brain nutrients (supplements) with a healthy diet, and do even some moderate exercise, throw in a little yoga or meditation or binaural beats, you are certainly going to be ahead of the game.
Learn more about becoming a new and better you!
And – as always – have a holistically healthy day!