Did you know that drinking alcoholic beverages can cause cancer? Here are some … well … rather sobering statistics:
1. If you drink at least 3.5 drinks per day, you are at a higher risk of developing cancer in your head and neck. You can get cancer in your throat and voice box, for example. If you drink this much and use tobacco products, your risks are even higher!
2. If you drink at this rate, you can also get cancer of the esophagus. If you have an inherited deficiency of an enzyme that metabolizes alcohol, you have an even higher risk!
3. Of course, most of us know that drinking alcoholic beverages puts us at risk for developing liver cancer, and if you have hepatitis B and/or C, your risks are even greater!
4. If you drink 3.5 glasses of alcohol per day, you have a 12% higher risk of getting breast cancer.
5. If you drink this same amount of alcohol each day, you have 1.5 times the risk of developing colorectal cancer.
6. Resveratrol, found in red wine, does have some anti-cancer properties, but so do grapes, raspberries, and other plants. There is no hard evidence that resveratrol can prevent cancer to date.
Do you want to take these chances? Do you know somebody who drinks too much? Maybe it’s time to say … no!
For more information on holistic, healthy lifestyles, please visit Health And Wellness